Today, there’s a lot of hype surrounding jumping rope, and it’s because of the many benefits it provides. Jumping rope is a cheap yet effective form of cardio and total-body strengthening. It’s the type of workout that will get you sweaty and your blood pumping quickly without having to leave your home. Moreover, jumping rope has serious athletic benefits as well.
Jumping rope involves swinging a rope around the body and jumping over as it passes under the feet. It’s a cardio exercise with a basic concept. However, there are different ways you can do it depending on your fitness goals. Some people jump rope at a faster pace to strain for speed and agility, while others focus on moves to develop power. On the other hand, others use jump rope as a creative outlet.
The Benefits of Jumping Rope
Jumping rope has physical and mental benefits. Here are the physical benefits of jumping rope:
- Great cardio: Cardio exercise is crucial, and if you’re looking for an effective cardio option, jumping rope is one of the best. Jumping rope can get your heart rate quickly because it involves a lot of muscle groups working together at once.
- Great for total-body strengthening: Jumping rope involves head-to-toe engagement the whole time. Not only does it target the legs, but it also works the core, shoulders, and biceps.
- Helps with bone density: Due to the impact of jumping, jumping rope can build bone density. Bone density decreases with age that can lead to certain conditions, such as osteoporosis. That’s why you need to build bone density, and an effective way to do that is through jumping rope.
- Improves agility: The right jumping rope form requires you to move from the balls of your feet. In turn, this will develop your footwork and agility.
- Helps with coordination: Jumping rope requires a lot of coordination. It needs your hands, feet, and even your eyes to work together to ensure you swing the rope properly.
- Trains power: When you master the basic jump rope technique, you can switch it up and do the double under. A double under will require more power, which means it can make you feel more powerful that can serve you well in sports.
- Helps with balance: Jumping rope can help improve your balance because you need to re-establish your balance in between each jumps. Additionally, it requires good balance to jump up again.
Now, here are some of the mental benefits of jumping rope:
- Improves spatial awareness: Regularly jumping rope can help improve spatial awareness because you need to be constantly aware of what’s in front, behind, and your sides. Improved spatial awareness can help athletes be better as well.
- Clears the mind: Jumping rope is a meditative activity because once you get into it and find your rhythm, it’s easy to get lost in it. Therefore, it makes it one of the best ways to clear your mind.
Indeed, jumping rope has a lot of benefits, which is why there’s no surprise that a lot of people are getting into this activity again. Start jumping today!
For more fitness tips articles like this, browse The Skinny. We write engaging and accurate topics here on our site to help you live a healthier and happier life.